Friday, December 14, 2007

Feliz Cumpleanos

Our time here in Peru has been full of "firsts" - and yesterday was another day of firsts as I celebrated my 27th birthday here in Arequipa.

The best one was my first chance ever to play several hours of outdoor tennis on my birthday - not to be bundled up and battling the cold and/or snow in Colorado. It was glorious! It was also my first birthday to get a sunburn - not so glorious. : )

It was my first birthday to be away from family (aside from Mike and Dana of course!) but my first birthday to celebrate with our Peruvian friends at the children's home that have become like family here.

It was the first time I've been sung 3 separate versions of "Happy Birthday", including the standard English song but sung with a Spanish accent (Hoppy Bertday to you...).

It was the first time I've ever savored the taste of my cake so dearly - treasuring each bite of our Betty Crocker yellow cake with Betty Crocker chocolate frosting. We found these treats in Lima two weekends ago while visiting Tony's sister. Yummy!

It was the first time we've ever had a fancy candlelight dinner in an excellent restaurant for $18 USD - appetizer, main courses for both, followed by Queso Helado dessert.

It was not the first time I've been excited to receive clothes for my birthday, but it was definitely the most excited I've ever been to get new clothes.

Lastly, it was the first time I've ever had awesome "Feliz Cumpleanos" candles like this on my birthday cake. Thanks Mike!
It was a wonderful day and I'm so grateful for all that God has allowed us to do in this past year. We look forward to the coming year with great anticipation, anxious to see where God will lead us and how he will continue to teach us about himself. I'm so incredibly thankful for Tony and the countless ways that he loves me so well and the deep friendship that we share. Thank you all for supporting us in this adventure and for your encouragement along the way. I look forward to sharing with you all that happens between now and next December 12!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

happy belated birthday Julie!! Can I be off your poop list now??