Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Smokey the Bear doesn't live in Peru!


Our friends, Luis and Karen, were over for dinner tonight with their little boy, Luis. They brought several toys for him to play with, but eventually he grew tired of the selection and needed new sources of entertainment. He tottered around the living room, played with his reflection in the glass door and eventually needed his mother's full attention. I was dying inside when I realized that Karen had handed Luis a box of matches to play with!! I could not tune out the mantra of parents in the US, "Don't play with matches! Don't ever play with matches!" while I was watching the delight of this darling one year old as he dumped the box of matches out and spread them across the table. Even more amazing was the ease with which his mother watched on and continued to pick the matches up off the floor as they were dropped from his little hands. I had told her before that I would take some pictures of their family tonight, and I knew she wouldn't think a thing about it if I started taking photos of him playing with matches, so I grabbed my camera and started clicking away. This is one of my "We're not in Kansas anymore..." moments!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

That is too funny. Thomas loves matches too, and David always freaks out.