Friday, May 30, 2008

Chalky, cherry, minty

Some missionary friends in Lima are including us in the deparasitization program that they've been advocating and organization here in Peru. Parasites are fairly common here due to poor sanitation habits, particularly in rural and poor areas. Parasites can deprive their host of up to 30% of their nutrition, which is particularly damaging for children. We're so thankful for the provision of these pills that we can distribute to the kids and to the members of our community. While the results can be quite disturbing if indeed you are harboring a serious parasite, it is worth the process of getting rid of it in order to maintain proper health and nutrition.

Today we administered the first pill to all of the kids at the children's home. Tony went room to room distributing pills, making sure that each child dutifully chewed their pink tablet. Tony took his first to set a good example for the kids, while I stayed in the office still feeling a bit nervous about the potential of a parasite passing through my body. I have an aversion to the chalky nature of chewable pills to begin with, so I was doubly motivated to hold off on my dosage.

As we walked out to our taxi at the end of the day, Tony handed me my pill. I asked what the taste was like and he described it as a "cherry, mint flavor." Tony then added, "Considering that it's a flavored, chewable parasite killing medication, the taste is actually pretty impressive." Laughing, I responded, "You make a good point - here we go." Chalky, cherry, minty - but all in all not bad for a parasite treatment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie............you are so brave! I can't even let my thoughts go there. I am so glad the kids get to take the pills, they have been subjected to so much while so many of them lived on the streets before coming to your home.

I am sending a blanket for little Luis (he is the only one in the "little blanket" age group) with your parents or Jon & Lindsey then sending more around June 15th.

Love you!
Aunt,
Nachaele

Jason, Nicole, and Rowen said...

Hi Tony and Julie! My name is Nicole Argo (Pruitt). I went to highschool with Tony. I was so excited to find your blog! It is amazing what you guys are doing in Peru. I am so glad that the children's home is still a success! God is good! My husband Jason is a pastor in Stroudsburg, PA and we would love to keep in touch. Maybe our ministries could come together sometime! Hope to hear from you...Blessings!