Monday, June 30, 2008

How does one lose a pair of glasses?

I was asking myself this question for days after Tony's first pair of glasses ever disappeared after only a month or so of having them. I couldn't understand how they could've been set down somewhere at the children's home and simply disappear without a trace. But the more I thought about it, the real surprise was that I was even surprised by the quick disappearance of any object in a place where over 50 pairs of hands are prone to touch any object within their grasp, almost without knowing it, it seems. From pens to coffee mugs, stuffed animals to tennis shoes, I never cease to be amazed that the number of items that show up in random places within the property of the children's home. Our dog, Davy, is the culprit for the relocation of most stuffed animals, but with the other items you just never know.

For example, the other day while I was out playing volleyball with some of the kids I heard someone inquiring on the whereabouts of a key on a black string. It had been left in a windowsill during music practice and was now missing. I reported that I had seen Lucia with a key on a string, and she then explained that she found it on the soccer court stands. She had left it hanging on the light post. Someone else chimed in that they'd seen Luis playing with a key on a string, swinging it around his arm again and again. Off to the little boys room we went to hear an interesting tale of how the key was passed from here to there, and was ultimately found in a desk drawer with a bunch of peeled and broken crayons. No one seems to wonder where an object comes from, nor where or to whom it belongs. Items are picked up and passed on into another set of hands before the owner has had a moment to realize it's been moved.

Anyhow, the last place Tony remembered having his glasses was at the children's home while working on the Jeep (an unfortunately common task for us...). Luis had been nearby, which led me to talk to Angelica, the leader of the little boys room. She hadn't seen them in their house, but she did remember seeing them on a table just after the pizza party for Tony's birthday, which happens to be the last day Tony had the glasses. Using my photographs from that day for evidence, we noticed that:
Here has them...
and now they're gone...

We talked to the guys who clean the room where the party was - they hadn't seen anything. We talked to the teens who study in there in the afternoon - same story. We asked all the staff members to look around in their respective rooms - still nothing. At this point, two weeks later, we're reluctant but willing to accept the fact that the stylish new glasses have apparently been sucked into the black hole of the New Hope galaxy. All those little hands passed the glasses along into an unknown location where they'll probably stay until someday they are discovered by someone looking for a missing item themselves. By then no one will even remember that Tony's glasses were missing!

1 comment:

The Three 22nds said...

Funny. What is even funnier is that I have a similar story. My glasses are gone as well. I have 6 little hands around here too and I am concerned that one of them made off with them...

or else I just misplaced them. that, I am afraid is equally as likely...

anyway, I have been looking for 3 weeks and am about to order a new pair.

good luck with your hunt