Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wrapped In Love

Several years ago, my sister and her husband spent 6 months in Ethiopia on a short-term missions trip. As they shared their experiences and told about the needs of the children there, my Aunt Nachaele decided to get involved in raising funds to help support a children's home there. She is a fantastic knitter and decided to start a non-profit called Stitches for Britches that allowed her to sell her knitted goods to make money to support the kids there. Since we've been here in Peru, she's been incredibly supportive and has done several special things for the kids here.
When Luis was left here alone after his pals were adopted out in February, Nachaele decided to make a special blanket for him to send along with my parents when they came to visit. When Julio came to the home just before my parents came to visit, she quickly put together a fleece-tie blanket to send along for him. It was so much fun to bring Luis and Julio up to the office, show them the picture of my aunt and uncle, tell them how special they are to all of us and give them each their blankets. I told them that whenever they are cold, or just feeling lonely, they can wrap themselves up in their blankets and remember that they are loved.
As we were pulling out of the orphanage later that afternoon, we looked out and saw Luis and Julio standing on the soccer court, wrapped in their warm blankets, watching us as we were leaving to take my parents to the airport. The sight of these two standing there was one of the sweetest things I'd seen in a long time. Thank you, Nachaele, for your gift of love for these boys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are welcome, Julie! It am so glad that I could give something to the boys to show they are loved! God gave me this gift to share with others and give gifts of love :)