Thursday, October 2, 2008

Reign of The Mini

Within hours of arriving here in Edinburgh, one thing became quite clear:

The mini-skirt is BACK.

And it's not just the mini-skirt, it's mini-skirts with tights and leggings, mini-skirts with boots or ballet flats, mini-skirts with sweaters and coats that hang lower than the skirt, leading me to fear that some of these dear girls have actually forgotten to put on their pants. No matter the temperature, the mini-skirt it out. No matter the wind, the mini-skirt is out. It has no limitations - style must be upheld despite the chill or the breeze risk factors. Size of the thighs is apparently no consideration either - women of all sizes sport the mini. The muffin-top + mini combo is alarmingly common, but seemingly only to us foreigners. The mini is pervasive throughout society - students, professionals, mums and their daughters all wear them. I nearly choked on my water when our letting agent stood up and revealed her "poofy-mini",which is what I call the type of mini-skirts shown here on the right (but shorter):



My simple style (or "classic style" as I've been told to say!) is entirely out of place here. The other day we walked into the bank and there was a group of three girls standing at the teller counter. All three were wearing non-tapered jeans with Dansko clogs, two of them were wearing fleece jackets, and two of them had Vera Bradley bags on their shoulders. I nearly walked up and hugged them because it was so good to see a familiar sense of style!

I had to laugh when I saw this cartoon because it reflected our initial impressions so well! Cheers!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow I wonder how I would look in a mini with socks like that?

Tony and Julie said...

One word for you, Jess: HOT. Don't think about coming to see us without a few mini's packed into your suitcase!

o4seasmom said...

Julie! I absolutely love living vicariously through you guys as you are in this season of your lives! I can't believe the mini is back...love it! Takes me back to my junior high years of the 80's! I can't wait to keep up with your blog! Know you are missed in Peru, even though we didn't get to see you often.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the head's up on the fashion trends! I wonder if they now make maternity minis.