Thursday, November 27, 2008

Candy Corn Reflections '08


As we are away from home again this year for Thanksgiving, I am continuing with the new tradition of posting my Thanksgiving reflections here on our blog, rather than around the circle with my family. This year there are 44 of them together, and before the eating begins they will each hold their 3 pieces of candy corn and share three special things that they are thankful for this year. There have been joys and heartbreaks within our family this year, and the sting of the heartbreak is evermore painful on special days like today. But the joys are so well remembered as well, and that helps to balance the memories a bit.

If I were there with my family today, these are the three things I would give thanks for:

1 - Again, I am so grateful for Tony, for the dear companion he is in my life and the ways he has supported me during this big and difficult transition from Peru to Scotland. My love and appreciation for him grows each year and I still proclaim that I could live anywhere and do anything as long as he is by my side.

2 - I am so grateful for the provision of a JOB this week after a long, and at time hopeless, wait. It's not just a job, it's a great job that I am excited to begin. God has faithfully met our needs as we waited, and we're so thankful for this provision of work.

3 - I am so thankful for my family, their thoughtfulness, supportiveness and encouragement while we are in this season of living so far away. They are extensions of God's caring touch in this world and they have made all the difference in making this transition bearable. I miss them dearly and look forward to seeing their faces as soon as possible.

It's never been so hard to narrow my gratitude down to 3 items as it is this year. There is so much more to say, about the Lord's faithful provision in our lives, about Peru and the ways it changed me so deeply, so many things. But for now, these 3 reflect the current condition of my heart and I will stick with them.

May you enjoy a wonderful day with your family and friends today. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: