Thursday, December 11, 2008

Home Link

Aside from the day we found out that my sister is pregnant with her 2nd child, the most exciting day of our time here in Edinburgh was definitely Tuesday, November 25. After interviewing the previous day, I received a phone call from Home Link Family Support. They called to offer me the job and by some miracle, I managed to retain my composure long enough to express my thanks, accept the job, and establish a time to return to the office to sign my contract. As soon as I hung up, I was jumping up and down and squealing with delight. The job search, which had come to feel quite desperate and hopeless in recent weeks, was finally over.

Since arriving here in early September, my days had been spent scouring every possible job listing source I could find, customizing my CV for submission and completing specified application forms created by various employers. I spent hours scrolling through the Job Centre database looking for opportunities, registered with every temp agency I could find, applied with Starbucks - you name it, I did it. The economy in Scotland was already struggling when we arrived, and sources say that Scotland has been affected most seriously by the economic resession in the UK. Everyone we talked to about the job search tried to encourage us about the wait by confirming the discouraging state of the economy here. When I heard that the average time to find a job here is 6-9 months I started to panic, and then cry. It was a trying process and a real test of my faith as we waited and waited, wondering how God would provide for us to remain here in Scotland for Tony's schooling.

For these reasons and more, the phone call on that Tuesday afternoon was simply overwhelming.

I started work last Monday morning, just 5 days after accepting the position. I am working as the Volunteering Officer, which means I'll be overseeing the recruitment, training and support, and personal development of volunteers. Home Link is a charity organisation (handily a 10 minute walk away!) that provides support for families with preschool age children who are experiencing stress or difficulties in some manner. They have a large base of volunteers who are trained to provide support for these families and then spend several hours each week offering practical help and support to the families in their homes. Their vision is to provide early, preventive support to keep families from reaching a crisis point. I love the concept of their work and it fits very well with my background in community counseling. I'm very excited about the work I'll be doing in my position and can't wait to get started.

Beyond the financial stability that employment offers, I am very grateful to now have something of my own to focus on and work towards every day. It's great to have a routine again and to be able to use my energy and skills in a constructive way. I feel so fortunate to have found a job that will challenge me and allow me to develop my skills further. After applying to wash and fold linens in a hotel, the mental stimulation of this position is an absolute blessing!!

We are so grateful to God for this provision. While our hearts are still missing our families and friends in the US and Peru so very much, having a secure job has brought a great amount of comfort as we continue to adjust to this transition. As you think of us, please join us in giving thanks to God for the good gift he has provided for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and the job sounds like a perfect fit!!

Do you have the address of where we can send the afghans to your friend that is going to Peru in January?

Janelle said...

Yeah God and Happy Birthday Julie O./B!!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations!! What an answer to prayer!