Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Breaking the news

Ever since Tony was accepted in the University of Edinburgh to begin the pursuit of his PhD in philosophy, we've been caught in a very complex web of emotions. We have spent the past several years praying about our future direction, and this spring we prayed fervently for wisdom in what to do. Tony's acceptance into Edinburgh was a surprise because his application was late, reference letters were lost in the mail, and the program seemed a bit out of our reach to begin with. When we received the news about his acceptance, it was a strong confirmation that God was opening the doors for us to head down that path. The considerations that have gone into this decision making process are too many to detail here, but by the middle of June we were confident enough to make our final decision to head to Scotland this fall.

There are many difficult aspects of leaving, but the one I was dreading the most was breaking the news to the kids and our wonderful staff that we were leaving. I would cry just thinking about telling them and couldn't imagine how we would actually be able to get the words out. I wanted to hide from that part of this decision. When the day came to tell our staff that we were leaving, I wanted to send Tony down to the meeting and stay locked up in my office. I sat through the meeting and my lip started to tremble as soon as Tony started to transition the conversation over to our announcement. I cried, as did many others, but I felt relieved when it was over.

Then, we had to tell the kids. We decided to go room by room and talk to the kids about our departure. I was determined not to cry in attempt to be strong for the kids, but that plan failed as soon as I saw one of the girls start to cry. I was a mess all afternoon and I had never been so ready to lay down in bed as I was that night - every ounce of my emotional strength was gone. But the next day, I woke up so relieved to have the weight of that announcement lifted from our shoulders. We were ready to jump in and fully enjoy the last 3 1/2 weeks we have at the home.

I know that my feelings of guilt aren't reasonable or deserved; I know that the Lord is leading us and we are confident in the steps we're taking. Yet, I feel so guilty for leaving these kids after pouring our love into them for the past year. The deepest wound these children have is the abandonment by those who claimed to love them, so to walk away from these dear ones inevitably feels painful and laden with guilt.

But from there, I marvel at two things. I cannot fathom the level of desperation and hopelessness that these children's parents must have felt to be able to walk away, leaving their babies alone on buses, park benches, and alleyways. I am shocked by the power of sin that enabled parents to abuse and sell their children off as domestic servants. But most of all, I'm amazed by God's goodness to use his people to care for the people in this world who have been pushed aside. I'm amazed that children who've been so wounded by this world have the capacity to love and be loved again, and I feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to love and be loved by each one of them. God truly does bring beauty out of ashes.

6 comments:

AJ and Andie Culp said...

Julie, thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, struggles, and joys with us. I could almost sense a wave of emotion just reading about your experience. When the dust settles, I cannot wait to sit and talk with you...and SEE you!! We rejoice that the Lord is leading you here! May the Lord continue to bless you as you transition. And may the Lord rise up loving staff to care for the children. We love you guys!

Love, AJ & Andie

Jon and Lindsey Hodges said...

Even though I've read this entry before, I read it again and cried again! It is amazing to hear your emotions, I think as a parent there are deep emotions that only other parents understand, but you and Tony have something with the kids that is rare. You feel for them as for your own children. I am praying for you in your last 2 weeks! God is good and will bless you and will find new ways to bless the kids even after you are in Edinburgh.

Anonymous said...

It has been so wonderful reading about your life and adventures down in Peru. I can't believe it's been a year! I truly loved hearing your heart and how God has blessed you through your servanthood at New Hope. I know that God will continue to bless you in Scotland...thanks for sharing!

Julie Luebcke

Jason, Nicole, and Rowen said...

Thank you for sharing your raw thoughts and feelings. I can relate a little to how you are feeling. My husband is a youth pastor and we have had those "talks" with our kids and church about how God was calling us elsewhere. It is SO difficult, but for you I am sure it is so much harder because of your special bond with them that is so apparent. You are in out constant thoughts and prayers and we excited to hear of all that God has in store for you!!! Love and Blessings! ~Jason, Nicole, and Rowen Argo
P.S. Congrats Tony~ you are going to do great!!!

Meredith and Eddie said...

Julie,
A friend of mine said at the end of the year she is going to make her blog into a book. I thought you might be interested, since y'all seemed to have had such an amazing year. http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook
Hopefully, the link works.

Adrienne said...

Very powerful and thought provoking last paragraph, Julie. I just wrote down your phone number off this site, so I'll be calling tomorrow.